Tertiary Care Facilities
Tertiary care facilities are larger hospitals providing a broader range of medical specialties services. Post-resuscitation care requires multidisciplinary teamwork generally only available at tertiary care facilities.
The evaluation of the tertiary care facilities incorporates:
- Mapping of the tertiary care facilities' response processes to out-of-hospital cardiac arrest calls. The resulting process flow maps in conjunction with time stamp data may assist the tertiary care facilities' continuous quality improvement efforts. System wide mapping allows the medical director to follow patient care from start to finish on any case.
- System-wide exercises to test and improve tertiary care facilities' documentation procedures and communication protocols with other subsystems.
- Pilot projects designed to demonstrate the possibilities of real-time data flow of patient care data between dispatch centers, emergency medical services, hospitals, and state’s health information exchange network.
Barriers to Efficiency
- Delay in patient access to the cardiac catheterization laboratory (cath lab).
- Some rural emergency medical services do not have the capability of transmitting electrocardiograms (EKGs) from the field to the emergency department, limiting the tertiary care facilities' involvement in the early stages of the cardiac arrest patient care.
- Hospital Response, Every Second Counts. Every Action Matters. A Community Response Planning Guide for Sudden Cardiac Arrest, The Medtronic Foundation Heart Rescue Project
- RACE CARS – Regional Approach to Cardiovascular Emergencies (RACE) Cardiac Arrest Resuscitation System (CARS), North Carolina
Post-Cardiac Arrest Care Protocols and Resources
- 2015 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation & Emergency Cardiac Care Guidelines, American Heart Association
- Cath Lab Cardiac Arrest Protocol, Minnesota Resuscitation Consortium
- Center for Resuscitation Science, Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Theheart.org, WebMD
EKG Data Transfer
- LIFENET System, Physio-Control
Health Information Exchange