Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health
June 18-20, 2014
Alerus Conference Center
Grand Forks, North Dakota
The Dakota Conference provides an opportunity for over 300 health care professionals,
educators, and students to share strategies for building and sustaining healthy
communities in North Dakota. It includes two and one half days of pre-conference
workshops, keynote speakers, breakout sessions, poster presentations, evening
workshops, and an awards banquet.
Why attend the Dakota Conference?
- Network with health care professionals
- Learn about current rural and public health issues
- Experience the collaboration of organizations, health and human service disciplines,
- Get a taste of the professional side of being in health care
Who Should Attend
- Rural health care professionals
- Public health professionals
- Mental health professionals
- Social workers
- Administrators - nursing home, hospital and clinic
- Health professions students
- All individuals interested in improving health care service in rural areas
- Provide quality education for rural and public health professionals.
- Improve the health and well-being of North Dakota Communities.
- Provide continuing education to health and human service administrators, managers,
researchers, and clinical providers in the areas of:
- Health care administration,
- Health promotion and disease prevention,
- Environmental health and occupational health, and
- Diverse populations and health disparities.
- Create an environment of learning that is informative and educational to an
interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary audience of health and human service
- Provide conference participants with the opportunity to formally present
community-based solutions to common rural and public health issues.
- Provide conference participants with the opportunity to informally network with
others to share skills and strategies meant to address access, financial, and
quality-of-care issues found in rural and public health.
- Foster an environment that is conducive to collaboration between different
organizations, health and human service disciplines, and communities.
Conference Planning Committee
- Lynette Dickson (Chair), UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Pete Antonson, North Dakota Rural Health Association
- Jon Green, Altru Health System
- Theresa Knox, North Dakota Public Health Association
- Nikki Massmann, UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Chelsey Matter, North Dakota Public Health Association
- Kylie Nissen, UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Julie Reiten, UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Joni Tweeten, UND College of Nursing
The Dakota Conference is Coordinated and Facilitated by
- The Center for Rural Health, The University of North Dakota (UND) School of
Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS)
The Dakota Conference is Supported by
Kylie Nissen, Senior Project Coordinator
Julie Reiten, Project Assistant