State Office of Rural Health (SORH)
The Center for Rural Health is designated as the North Dakota State Office of Rural Health, a federal-state partnership that helps rural communities build their health care services through collaborations and initiatives with a wide range of partners across the state.
What we do for youAs the State Office of Rural Health, the Center:
- Supports and contributes to work related to: Hospitals and Facilities, Health Workforce, Working with Communities, Policy, and Educating and Informing
- Facilitates the annual Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health.
- Administers and coordinates the Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Program in collaboration with the North Dakota Department of Health, North Dakota Hospital Association, and the North Dakota Healthcare Review, which is our state's CMS-contracted QIO (Quality Improvement Organization).
- Administers the Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota Rural Health Grant Program and Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP).
- Provides grant development assistance to communities working on federal, state, and foundation proposals.
- Serves as convener of the North Dakota Health Information Technology Steering Committee.
- Helps keep rural health organizations informed about resources and opportunities through support of the Center for Rural Health monthly electronic newsletter.
- Collaborates with partner organizations such as the North Dakota Department of Health, Human Services; North Dakota Health Information Technology; North Dakota Hospital Association; North Dakota Long Term Care Association; Mental Health America of North Dakota; North Dakota Medical Association; North Dakota Nursing Association; North Dakota Public Health Association; Community HealthCare Association of the Dakotas; >North Dakota Health Care Review (QIO); and other University of North Dakota Departments.
Most Recent Publications
- Testimony to the North Dakota Health Care Reform Review Committee
Gibbens, B. March 2014
- Celebrating the Power of Rural
North Dakota Medicine, Volume 38 Issue 4 Pages 18-21, December 2013National Rural Health Day showcases the strengths of rural America.
- What is a Community Health Center?
Morin, K. & Barclay, M.
North Dakota Medicine, Volume 38 Issue 3 Pages 20-23, October 2013Non-profit community-driven clinics provide high-quality primary and preventive care to all individuals, with or without insurance and regardless of their ability to pay.
- Residency Locations in North Dakota
Klug, M., Hart, G., & Peterson, M.
North Dakota Health Workforce Fact Sheet Series, Issue 6, June 2012Examines the locations and duration of North Dakota’s medical residency positions by specialty.
- Where Did North Dakota Physicians Graduate from Medical School and Where Have North Dakota Medical School Graduates Gone?
Klug, M., Hart, G., & Peterson, M.
North Dakota Health Workforce Fact Sheet Series, Issue 7, June 2012Examines where North Dakota Physicians attended medical school and where North Dakota medical school graduates are practicing.
Most Recent Presentations
- The Rural Community and Health Policy
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Nov 05, 2014 at the Social Policy 442 UND Department of Social Work, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Resources to Address Community Health Needs: Federal Rural Health Outreach Grant Program and its Impact in North Dakota
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Jun 18, 2014 at the 2014 CAH Pre-Conference Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Understanding the Rural Community: A Context for Rural Health
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Jun 03, 2014 at the Center for Rural Health, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Rural Dementia Care
Presented by Gibbens, B., Dobervich, G. on Mar 05, 2014 at the 17th Annual Senior Healthcare Professional Summit, hosted by St. Alexius Health Center, Bismarck, North Dakota
- Health Policy: The Process of Advocacy for Change in Rural America
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Nov 07, 2013 at the Political Science/MPA 535 Public Organizations, UND Department of Political Science, Grand Forks, North Dakota