The Center for Rural Health supports rural and tribal health through policy work at the state, regional, tribal and national levels. We help policymakers and people interested in healthcare delivery get the information they need by:
- Studying the impact of current policies and regulations on communities
- Examining the potential impact of proposed policy changes on communities
- Supporting informed decision-making through provision of data and research
What We Can Do for You
In the area of policy, we offer:
- Policy-related research through the Rural Health Reform Policy Research Center.
- Policy-relevant information on topics that concern you, your organization, or community through policy-focused presentations on current issues, policy briefs, other publications, and the Rural Health Information Hub’s Rural Health Policy guide.
- Assistance in understanding the impact of current and proposed policies on rural health and how you can provide input to policymakers.
- Assistance to your organization in policy framing. CRH faculty and staff have specialized training in policy communications and messaging.
We have a 30-year history of supporting North Dakota health policy. Our staff and faculty serve on national and state policy relevant boards and committees such as the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) and National Rural Health Association (NRHA). Staff and faculty have provided testimony at the state and federal level on key rural and tribal issues. The Center provides support and information to North Dakota’s Congressional delegation, the Governor’s office, state legislators, and various associations and organizations.
Brad Gibbens, MPA - Deputy Director
Most Recent Publications
Key Points: Rural Health and Health Reform in North Dakota
Summarizes the main themes for healthcare and health reform in rural North Dakota. Themes include access to care, health workforce, population health, and Accountable Care Organization Improvement Models importance to North Dakota.Author(s): Gibbens, B.
Date: March 2017
North Dakota’s Significant Health Needs as Identified by Community Health Needs Assessments
Summarizes and shows results of health needs identified by rural and urban communities in North Dakota through focus groups and community surveys.Author(s): Gibbens, B.
Date: January 2017
Type: Fact Sheet
- Fourth Biennial Report: Health Issues for the State of North Dakota, 2017
Now in its fourth edition, the Report is a detailed look at the status of health, healthcare delivery, and the healthcare workforce across the state. It is the most up-to-date and comprehensive analysis of these issues available anywhere, and is the result of a collaborative effort of the Center for Rural Health, the School, and the School’s Advisory Council.Date: December 2016
- Testimony to White House Conference on Aging
Testimony of Jacqueline S. Gray, PhD, Director of the National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative. Presented May 6, 2015 at the White House Conference on AgingAuthor(s): Gray, J.
Date: May 2015
- Third Biennial Report: Health Issues for the State of North Dakota, 2015
Now in its third edition, the Report is a detailed look at the status of health, healthcare delivery, and the healthcare workforce across the state. It is the most up-to-date and comprehensive analysis of these issues available anywhere, and is the result of a collaborative effort of the Center for Rural Health, the School, and the School’s Advisory Council.Date: December 2014
Most Recent Presentations
- Nobody Knew Healthcare Could be so Complicated
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Mar 30, 2017 at the Northwood Deaconess Health Center Annual Meeting, Northwood, North Dakota
- The Role of Policy in Rural Health
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Mar 01, 2017 at the University of Mary, Advanced Nursing Education - Common and Chronic Healthcare Management 589, Bismarck, North Dakota
- Background for Congressman Kevin Cramer’s Healthcare Reform Roundtable
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Feb 22, 2017 at the Healthcare Reform Roundtable, Bismarck, North Dakota
- Rural Health Policy: How Does Rural Health Overlap with Policy and Policy Formulation?
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Nov 01, 2016 at the UND College of Nursing and Professional Disciplines, NURS 586, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Preliminary Analysis of Community Health Needs Assessments (CHNA) Prioritized Issues
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Oct 26, 2016 at the State Health Data Retreat, Bismarck, North Dakota