The Center for Rural Health supports rural and tribal health through policy work at the state, regional, tribal and national levels. We help policymakers and people interested in healthcare delivery get the information they need by:
- Studying the impact of current policies and regulations on communities
- Examining the potential impact of proposed policy changes on communities
- Supporting informed decision-making through provision of data and research
What We Can Do for You
In the area of policy, we offer:
- Policy-related research through the Rural Health Reform Policy Research Center.
- Policy-relevant information on topics that concern you, your organization, or community through policy-focused presentations on current issues, policy briefs, other publications, and the Rural Health Information Hub's Rural Health Policy guide.
- Assistance in understanding the impact of current and proposed policies on rural health and how you can provide input to policymakers.
- Assistance to your organization in policy framing. CRH faculty and staff have specialized training in policy communications and messaging.
We have a 30-year history of supporting North Dakota health policy. Our staff and faculty serve on national and state policy relevant boards and committees such as the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) and National Rural Health Association (NRHA). Staff and faculty have provided testimony at the state and federal level on key rural and tribal issues. The Center provides support and information to North Dakota's Congressional delegation, the Governor's office, state legislators, and various associations and organizations.
Brad Gibbens, MPA - Deputy Director
Most Recent Publications
North Dakota's Significant Rural Health Needs as Identified by Critical Access Hospital Community Health Needs Assessments
Summarizes and shows results of the 2017-2019 health needs identified by rural communities in North Dakota through focus groups, key informant interviews, and community surveys.Author(s): Nissen, K., Larson, S.
Date: June 2020
Type: Fact Sheet
Fifth Biennial Report: Health Issues for the State of North Dakota, 2019
Now in its fifth edition, the report is a detailed look at the status of health, healthcare delivery, and the healthcare workforce across the state. It is the most up-to-date and comprehensive analysis of these issues available anywhere, and is the result of a collaborative effort of the Center for Rural Health, the School, and the School's Advisory Council.Author(s): UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Date: November 2018
Use of the Emergency Department for Mental Health and Substance Abuse Among Women
A study by the Rural Health Reform Research Center shows that women with mental health (MH) and substance abuse (SA) issues are putting a strain on emergency departments (EDs). This study helps identify trends among women in rural and urban communities who utilize the ED for MH/SA. The information can be used to help communities provide more relevant, appropriate, and less costly care.Author(s): Schroeder, S., Peterson, M., Jaeger, J.
Date: July 2017
Type: Fact Sheet
Key Points: Rural Health and Health Reform in North Dakota
Summarizes the main themes for healthcare and health reform in rural North Dakota. Themes include access to care, health workforce, population health, and Accountable Care Organization Improvement Models importance to North Dakota.Author(s): Gibbens, B.
Date: March 2017
North Dakota's Significant Health Needs as Identified by Community Health Needs Assessments
Summarizes and shows results of health needs identified by rural and urban communities in North Dakota through focus groups and community surveys.Author(s): Gibbens, B.
Date: January 2017
Type: Fact Sheet
Most Recent Presentations
- Rural Health: Community Dynamics, Community Health, and Community Solutions
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Aug 05, 2020 at the University of Mary, Common and Chronic Health Care Management graduate class, Webinar
- Understanding Rural Health: Community, Health Policy, and Health Reform
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Feb 20, 2020 at the Blue Plate Special Meeting, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Population Health: It's a Rural Thing, Too
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Feb 06, 2020 at the University of North Dakota College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines, NURS 565 Rural Populations and Rural Health, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- The State of Rural Health: The Environment and Policy Implications
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Nov 21, 2019 at the Interim Health Care Committee, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Maternal and Child Health and the U.S. Drug Crisis
Presented by Schroeder, S. on May 10, 2019 at the National Rural Health Association's Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia