As the population over the age of 65 continues to grow, both in the state and nationally, the Center for Rural Health works to address issues of aging in rural and tribal communities. Our staff:
- Work to ensure access to health care and support services in communities.
- Research the availability of services for aging populations.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of innovative services for individuals with dementia.
- Provide culturally appropriate information and training to assist in the prevention of elder abuse and increase quality of life for elders in tribal communities.
The Center for Rural Health’s Rural Assistance Center lists additional rural aging information and resources.
Paula Carter, PhD - Project Director
Most Recent Publications
- Native Aging Visions, Summer 2015
National Resource Center on Native American Aging May 2015Newsletter developed by the National Resource Center on Native American Aging.
- Testimony to White House Conference on Aging
Gray, J. May 2015Testimony of Jacqueline S. Gray, PhD, Director of the National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative. Presented May 6, 2015 at the White House Conference on Aging
- Native Aging Visions, Winter 2015
National Resource Center on Native American Aging January 2015Newsletter developed by the National Resource Center on Native American Aging.
- NRCNAA Celebrates 20 Years Helping Native Elders
Massmann, N. December 2014North Dakota Medicine, Vol. 39, Issue 4. Native American elders have many of the same needs as other elder populations, and the idea behind the program was to be able to provide a way to identify specific needs within communities.
- Oral Health in Native American Elderly
Hall, S., Stensland, P., Morin-Carter, P. August 2014The National Resource Center on Native American Aging (NRCNAA) has released a fact sheet using nationwide data from “Identifying our Needs: A Survey of Elders.” Includes information on dental work needed and overall oral health indicators.
Most Recent Presentations
- Native Elderly Falls and Depression as Related to Elder Abuse Services
Presented by Riley, D., Carter, P., Lindgren, H., & Gray, J. on Aug 18, 2014 at the AoA/ACL Title VI Training and Technical Assistance Conference, Washington, DC
- Osteoporosis and Falls Among Native American Elders
Presented by Lyons, L., Gray, J., Carter, P., & Stensland, P. on Aug 18, 2014 at the AoA/ACL Title VI Training and Technical Assistance Conference, Washington, DC
- The Challenge and Strength of Rural Hospice: Results from a National Study
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Mar 05, 2014 at the 17th Annual Senior Healthcare Professional Summit, hosted by St. Alexius Health Center, Bismarck, North Dakota
- Identifying Our Needs: A Survey of Elders
Presented by Carter, P., Davis, J., & Gray, J. on Sep 14, 2012 at the 19th Biennial National Indian Council on Aging Conference, Albuquerque, NM