As the population over the age of 65 continues to grow, both in the state and nationally, the Center for Rural Health works to address issues of aging in rural and tribal communities. Our staff:
- Work to ensure access to health care and support services in communities.
- Research the availability of services for aging populations.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of innovative services for individuals with dementia.
- Provide culturally appropriate information and training to assist in the prevention of elder abuse and increase quality of life for elders in tribal communities.
The Center for Rural Health’s Rural Health Information Hub lists additional rural aging information and resources.
Paula Carter, PhD - Project Director
Most Recent Publications
- Native Aging Visions, Fall 2015
National Resource Center on Native American Aging November 2015Newsletter developed by the National Resource Center on Native American Aging.
- Health Care Coverage by Age for American Indian/Alaska Native Elders
Adamsen, C. November 2015The National Resource Center on Native American Aging (NRCNAA) has released a fact sheet using nationwide data from “Identifying our Needs: A Survey of Elders Cycle V.” Includes information on health care coverage sorted by age among American Indian and Alaska Native Elders.
- Contributing Factors to American Indian/Alaskan Native Elders’ Quality of Life
Lyons, L., Wheeler, M., Gray, J., Bluehouse, R., Morgan, R. August 2015A study on the factors that contribute to American Indian and Alaskan Native Elders' quality of life.
- Identity Theft Among American Indian and Alaskan Native Elders
Riley, D., Wheeler, M., Gray, J., Bluehouse, R., Morgan, R. July 2015Fact sheet on NIEJI's findings regarding identity theft among American Indian and Alaskan Native Elders.
- Technology Use among American Indian/Alaskan Native Elders
Azure, W., Wheeler, M., Gray, J., Bluehouse, R., Morgan, R. July 2015Findings from research on technology use among American Indian and Alaskan Native elders.
Most Recent Presentations
- Elder Abuse in Indian Country
Presented by Gray, J., LaCounte, C., Sampson, D., Whitewater, T. on May 10, 2016 at the National Indian Health Board, Webinar
- Disrespect: Addressing Elder Abuse in Indian Country on Turtle Island
Presented by Gray, J. on Nov 18, 2015 at the Healing Our Spirits, Seventh Gathering, Hamilton, New Zealand
- State of Caregiving for People with Dementia in Indian Country
Presented by Carter, P. on Oct 15, 2015 at the Inaugural National Conference on Alzheimer's disease/Dementia in Native American Communities, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Financial Fraud in Indian Country
Presented by Gray, J., Dewees, S., LaCounte, C. on Aug 25, 2015 at the National Center for Victims of Crime, Webinar
- Model Tribal Elder Abuse Codes
Presented by Gray, J. on Aug 11, 2015 at the Title VI Training and Technical Assistance Conference, Washington, DC