Solid public health services can improve the overall population health, meaning healthier communities and healthier North Dakotans. The Center for Rural Health works to further the public health mission in North Dakota by:
- Working with diverse organizations to build partnerships and improve population health in rural areas.
- Coordinating the annual Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health.
- Gathering statistical data on various North Dakotan health aspects to inform stakeholders, educators, and policy makers.
- Providing technical assistance on accreditation, grant writing, needs assessments, improvement planning, and community engagement for local public health units.
Brad Gibbens, MPA, Deputy Director
Most Recent Publications
Rural Health Research RECAP: Quality of Care in Rural Hospitals
This recap looks at hospital quality-of-care measures and the difficulties of developing quality measures, especially for rural hospitals with low patient volumes.Author(s): Bauman, S., Schroeder, S.
Date: January 2019
Type: Fact Sheet
Fifth Biennial Report: Health Issues for the State of North Dakota, 2019
Now in its fifth edition, the report is a detailed look at the status of health, healthcare delivery, and the healthcare workforce across the state. It is the most up-to-date and comprehensive analysis of these issues available anywhere, and is the result of a collaborative effort of the Center for Rural Health, the School, and the School's Advisory Council.Author(s): UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Date: November 2018
Community Stages “Skittle Skool” to Help Tackle Big Issues Facing Youth
Community agencies and services in Stanley, North Dakota, came together to address the opioid crisis with area students. Presenters addressed the youth through creative and interactive activities and conversations.Author(s): Haugen, B.
Date: October 2018
North Dakota Rural Health Innovation Tour
National and regional rural health leaders tour innovative rural and tribal health systems around North Dakota.Author(s): Gibbens, B.
Date: September 2018
Standardized Dental Screening for New Nursing Home Residents: A Promising Practice Guide
This guide provides a template for nursing home administrators and dental professionals to help ensure all nursing home residents, upon admission, have dental screenings done by dental professionals.Author(s): Schroeder, S., Fix, N.
Date: April 2018
Most Recent Presentations
- Findings from the North Dakota State Targeted Response to the Opioid Crisis (Opioid STR)
Presented by Peterson, M., Dulitz, M., Dickson, L. on Jun 13, 2018 at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health, Grand Forks, North Dakota