Educating and Informing
The Center for Rural Health is committed to enhancing the understanding of rural health issues in our state, region, and the nation. We work with a wide range of rural stakeholders to:
- Raise awareness about the challenges facing rural communities
- Help people working on rural issues share their experiences and learn from one another
- Support informed decision making
What We Can Do for You
In the area of educating and informing, we offer:
- Key North Dakota rural statistics, maps and supporting information via fact sheets and other publications.
- Presentations by our staff on a wide variety of rural health topics. For more details or to request a presentation, see our speakers bureau.
- Professional development opportunities at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health as well as other workshops and meetings.
- E-mail updates on state and national resources and opportunities via the Center for Rural Health Update
- The Rural Health Information Hub's website offers an online clearinghouse with information on 80 key rural health and human services topics and all 50 states, examples of successful programs and approaches, tools to support grant writing, free customized assistance and much more.
Our staff and faculty present and publish on a wide range of rural health topics at the national, regional, tribal, state and community levels. We also serve on a variety of national and regional boards, committees, and taskforces, all with the aim of helping to inform people, organizations, and policy discussions about rural issues.
We provide information to the North Dakota Legislature, the Governor's office, and our state's federal delegation, as well as to legislative staff across the country.
The Center for Rural Health has operated the Rural Assistance Center for nearly ten years and also oversees one other national online information portal, the Rural Health Research Gateway.
Kristine Sande, MBA - Associate Director
Most Recent Publications
Promoting Positive Mental Health in Rural Schools
This resource from the Mountain Plains Mental Health Technology Transfer Center aims to promote positive mental health in rural schools.Author(s): Heitkamp, T., Nielsen, S., Schroeder, S.
Date: August 2019
NRCNAA: Supporting Those Who Stand in the Gap for Native Elders
Native service providers say the National Resource Center on Native American Aging helps them secure resources, guides their interventions, and fosters collaboration.Author(s): Herting, A., Adamsen, C.
Date: April 2019
Type: Fact Sheet
Air Force Veteran Finds His Place at the Center for Rural Health
Air Force veteran Shawn Larson returns home to North Dakota and finds his place at the Center for Rural Health.Author(s): Haugen, B.
Publication: Focus on Rural Health
Date: March 2019
Physician Assistant fulfills her passion in Cooperstown, North Dakota.Author(s): Kusler, S.
Publication: Focus on Rural Health
Date: February 2019
Trauma Caused by Injury or Abuse in Late Life: Experiences, Impacts, and the Federal Response
Discussion paper identifying resources that work to prevent injury and abuse in elders and help those who have experienced these tragedies deal with their ramifications.Author(s): Iyengar, V., Link, G., Beatty, P., Boel, M., Crockett, C., DiCocco, C., Fink, D., Gray, J., LaCounte, C., Miller, A., Phillippi, M., Skowronski, S., Twomey, M., Williams, T.
Publication: National Academy of Medicine
Date: January 2019
Type: Journal Article
Most Recent Presentations
- Project ECHO: Bridging the Gap in Healthcare to Provide Training, Tools, and Support to Rural Providers
Presented by Schmitz, D., Dickson, L., Reiten, J. on Jun 11, 2019 at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health, Minot, North Dakota
- Rural OUD Programs, Policies, Needs & Recommendations in Rural North Dakota: March 2019
Presented by Schroeder, S., Quinn, R., Bauman, S., Dickson, L. on Mar 25, 2019 at the consortium meeting, draft presentation
- Findings from the North Dakota State Targeted Response to the Opioid Crisis (Opioid STR)
Presented by Peterson, M., Dulitz, M., Dickson, L. on Jun 13, 2018 at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Tips for Telling Your Rural Story
Presented by Sande, K., Miller Temple, K., Leier, M. on May 09, 2018 at the National Rural Health Association's Annual Rural Health Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Preparing a Strong Rural Health Message
Presented by Schroeder, S. on Jun 14, 2017 at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health, Minot, North Dakota