Hospitals and Facilities
Strengthening and sustaining rural healthcare infrastructure means access to quality healthcare for rural North Dakota residents. We work with rural hospitals, facilities, and others interested in rural healthcare to:
- Provide rural facilities opportunities to maintain and improve the care they give
- Support current healthcare systems, allowing them to flourish
- Distribute various grants to sustain health systems
What We Can Do for You
Related to Hospitals and Facilities, we provide:
- Funding specific to rural hospitals and providers such as the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Rural Health Grant Program and the Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP).
- Rural hospital support with our Critical Access Hospital (CAH) Quality Network and Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility (Flex) Program
- Opportunities to increase local healthcare capacity using assistance from the State Office of Rural Health.
We initiated and currently support the North Dakota CAH Quality Network, which is a resource for CAHs to share best practices and quality initiatives. We also work with both rural and urban hospitals to coordinate meetings and continuing education opportunities. Our staff are invited to present, at the state and national level, on the collaborative efforts related to quality and patient safety taking place in rural North Dakota. They also serve on a variety of committees related to EMS, HIT, quality improvement and other topics related to rural healthcare.
Lynette Dickson, MS, RD, LRD - Associate Director
Most Recent Publications
- Rural and Urban Utilization of the Emergency Department for Mental Health and Substance Abuse
Utilizes data from the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project’s (HCUP’s) State Emergency Department Databases (SEDD) for seven states. Researchers explore, and describe in this brief, the use of the Emergency Department for mental health and substance abuse among Urban, Large Rural, Small Rural, and Isolated Small Rural residents.Author(s): Schroeder, S., Peterson, M.
Date: June 2017
Type: Policy Brief
North Dakota’s Significant Health Needs as Identified by Community Health Needs Assessments
Summarizes and shows results of health needs identified by rural and urban communities in North Dakota through focus groups and community surveys.Author(s): Gibbens, B.
Date: January 2017
Type: Fact Sheet
- Fourth Biennial Report: Health Issues for the State of North Dakota, 2017
Now in its fourth edition, the Report is a detailed look at the status of health, healthcare delivery, and the healthcare workforce across the state. It is the most up-to-date and comprehensive analysis of these issues available anywhere, and is the result of a collaborative effort of the Center for Rural Health, the School, and the School’s Advisory Council.Date: December 2016
- Community Showcases Welcome Future Physicians
New physician recruitment events showcase rural North Dakota communities and healthcare facilities to the future healthcare workforce.Author(s): Kusler, S.
Publication: North Dakota Medicine, 41(2), 18-19
Date: July 2016
- Oral Healthcare in North Dakota Long Term Care Facilities
Examines survey results of oral healthcare in long term care facilities throughout North Dakota.Author(s): Schroeder, S.
Date: June 2016
Type: Fact Sheet
Most Recent Presentations
- Exploring Global Budgets and All-Payer Rate Setting Approaches: How Does it Impact Rural Providers?
Presented by Knudson, A., Oran, R. on Aug 16, 2016 at the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health Region E Annual Conference, Medora, North Dakota
- What do North Dakota CAH Administrators Really Think About Rural Health? Findings and Implications from the 2014 CAH CEO Survey
Presented by Gibbens, B. on Jun 03, 2015 at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health Pre-Conference, Minot, North Dakota
- Evaluating a Cardiac System of Care
Presented by Renger, R. on Aug 06, 2014 at the North Dakota STEMI and Stroke Conference, Fargo, North Dakota
- Center for Rural Health Activities in North Dakota, 2013-2014
- North Dakota Critical Access Hospitals & Referral Centers
- North Dakota Critical Access Hospitals and Rural Health Clinics, 2016
- North Dakota Dental Health Professional Shortage Areas
- North Dakota Dental Health Professional Shortage Areas with Scores
- North Dakota Health Professional Shortage Areas