About the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health
The Dakota Conference has served as an interdisciplinary forum for more than 25 years. Attracting about 350+ professionals annually, the conference provides an opportunity to share strategies for building and sustaining healthy communities in North Dakota.
The Dakota Conference includes pre- and post-conference workshops, keynote speakers, a variety of breakout sessions, poster presentations, evening meetings and events, and an awards banquet.
- Provide quality education for rural and public health professionals.
- Improve the health and well-being of North Dakota Communities.
- Provide continuing education to health and human service administrators, managers,
researchers, and clinical providers in the areas of:
- Healthcare administration,
- Health promotion and disease prevention,
- Environmental health and occupational health, and
- Diverse populations and health disparities.
- Create an environment of learning that is informative and educational to an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary audience of health and human service professionals.
- Provide conference participants with the opportunity to formally present community-based solutions to common rural and public health issues.
- Provide conference participants with the opportunity to informally network with others to share skills and strategies meant to address access, financial, and quality-of-care issues found in rural and public health.
- Foster an environment that is conducive to collaboration between different organizations, health and human service disciplines, and communities.
Upon completion of this conference, participants will be able to describe strategies meant to address access, financial, and quality-of-care issues found in rural and public health. Participants will be able to define solutions to improving health and develop skills that will be taken to the participant’s communities and implemented in their healthcare practices.
- Lynette Dickson (Chair), University of North Dakota (UND) School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Center for Rural Health
- Pete Antonson, North Dakota Rural Health Association
- Tracy Evanson, UND College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines
- Mary LaHaise, Altru Health System
- Marv Leier, UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Kylie Nissen, UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Julie Reiten, UND SMHS Center for Rural Health
- Joni Tweeten, North Dakota Public Health Association
The Dakota Conference Planning Committee is composed of:
- Altru Health System
- Center for Rural Health – also provide coordination and facilitation
- UND College of Nursing and Professional Disciplines
- North Dakota Public Health Association
- North Dakota Rural Health Association
Kylie Nissen, Senior Project Coordinator