The Center for Rural Health assists rural areas in meeting their health workforce needs. Using state and federal resources, we:
- Educate North Dakota students about rural health careers
- Research workforce issues at the state and national level
- Provide assistance in matching healthcare professionals and rural communities
What We Can Do for YouIn the area of health workforce, we offer:
- Health career awareness activities in collaboration with rural schools: Area Health Education Centers, Scrubs Programs, and K-12 Educational Resources.
- Recruitment and retention assistance provided by our workforce specialist, State Office of Rural Health, Primary Care Office, 3RNet membership, and Community Apgar Project.
- Continuing education opportunities for health professionals at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health.
- Statistics, projections, and information about health workforce from the Rural Health Reform Policy Research Center, and our research team.
Our director, Gary Hart, is a national leader in medical geography and health workforce. He leads our research team in collecting data to describe the current workforce of physicians in North Dakota. We use data to help inform policy makers and other key stakeholders.
Our workforce specialist actively monitors workforce needs in rural communities and seeks out providers and health professionals to meet those needs.
Hospital Workforce Survey
- Detailed Charts From The North Dakota Hospital Survey Results: Workforce
- North Dakota Hospital Assessment: 2014 Chartbook
- Third Biennial Report: Health Issues for the State of North Dakota, 2015
Lynette Dickson, MS, RD, LRD - Associate Director
Most Recent Publications
Scrubs Project Report
Project report for Rural Collaborative Opportunities for Occupational Learning (R-COOL-Health) Scrubs Camps and Scrubs Academies.Author(s): Nissen, K.
Date: September 2019
The Center for Rural Health is involved in 14 projects related to behavioral health.Author(s): Haugen, B.
Publication: Focus on Rural Health
Date: June 2019
North Dakota Hospital Assessment: 2017 Flex Chartbook
This chartbook presents the findings of the 2017 survey of hospitals in North Dakota.Author(s): Besse, R., Peterson, M., Dickson, L.
Date: May 2019
Rural Health Research RECAP: Rural Obstetric Services: Access, Workforce, and Impact
This resource presents current hospital-based obstetric closure rates, characteristics of rural communities without and losing obstetric services, as well as the impact of limited access on maternal and child health.Author(s): Schroeder, S.
Date: April 2019
Type: Fact Sheet
Training and Technical Assistance Needs: Findings from a Survey of Professionals Who Serve Individuals with Mental Illness in Region 8
This report shows survey results that will inform the development of new products, training materials, and technical assistance requests.Author(s): Schroeder, S., Heitkamp, T.
Date: April 2019
Most Recent Presentations
- Project ECHO: Bridging the Gap in Healthcare to Provide Training, Tools, and Support to Rural Providers
Presented by Schmitz, D., Dickson, L., Reiten, J. on Jun 11, 2019 at the Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health, Minot, North Dakota
- Rural OUD Programs, Policies, Needs & Recommendations in Rural North Dakota: March 2019
Presented by Schroeder, S., Quinn, R., Bauman, S., Dickson, L. on Mar 25, 2019 at the consortium meeting, draft presentation