After your communication and marketing efforts are underway, board members, donors, and other interested parties may ask you a probing question: “What did all this work accomplish?” It’s a valid question, because evaluating the impact of your efforts – and making the necessary adjustments – should be an ongoing part of any communications program.
Some questions to ask about your organization’s communications include:
- How will we know we are having an impact?
- Are there different indicators for short-term and long-term impact?
- Are our outcome goals in line with our theory of change?
- What specific actions/beliefs/outcomes will we monitor as indices of improvement?
- Have we set our goals too high for the budget associated with our campaign